Personal Identification Numbers (PINs)
Beginning Wednesday, December 8, 2010 the Thousand Oaks Library will require all Library patrons to use a PIN along with their Library card number to access their Library accounts online. In early 2011, all Library patrons will need to use a PIN along with the Library card number not only to access their Library account online, but to check out items inside the Library as well.
Please help the Library by ensuring that we have your correct telephone number and correct e-mail address on file at this time. These pieces of information are necessary because your initial PIN will be based on the last four digits of the telephone number we have on file. We must have your current e-maill address in order to assist you in resetting your PIN number. If you ever forget your PIN, an e-mail message with a web address to reset your PIN will be sent to you. Please update your account online through the Library’s website at www.toaks.org/library or alert staff in person during your next visit to the Library.
- Provides an added layer of security to your Library account.
- Improves the privacy of your account and the materials that you access.
When PINs ARE Required
PINs will be necessary if you do any of the following online:
- Place your own requests
- Pay fines or monitor your account
- Update your account contact information
Please note: In early 2011, PINs will be necessary to use the automated check out machines.
What You Will Need
A VALID e-mail address linked to your account is crucial to this service. If you forget your PIN, the best way to re-set it is through email notification. We encourage you to include an e-mail address in your record to take full advantage of catalog benefits.
How to Log into Your Account and Modify or Reset Your PIN
Your initial PIN will be based on the last four digits of the telephone number we have on file. To login to your account and/or modify your PIN, please use these steps:
1. Go to the My Account Page and enter your Library card barcode number and the last four digits of your phone number on file, and click “Login”.
2. You will be automatically logged into your account. If that doesn’t log you in to your account, please request that your PIN be sent to you via your current e-mail address on file or contact Library staff for assistance.
How to Modify Your PIN
1. Log into your library account.
2. After a successful login, click on the Modify Your PIN button.
3. Enter your PIN, then enter your new PIN. Click on SUBMIT to complete the change.
How to Reset Your PIN
1. Click on Reset Your PIN.
2. Enter your library barcode and click Submit.
3. After authentication, the system presents a confirmation screen and sends an e-mail to the e-mail address on record with an informational message and a URL to reset PIN.
4. Open your email and retrieve the PIN reset link. The link is valid for 3 hours from the time of your request.
5. A separate window will be launched to allow users reset their PIN. Enter your library barcode and a new numeric PIN, then click Submit. If you don't wish to change your PIN, click START OVER to go back to the catalog home page.